Here’s a summary of the updates that we’ve made recently to our Information Hub.
Travelling and working abroad
- There’s some new information about travelling to Mexico on holiday. Generally, entry is via a Tourist Card which does not ask questions about criminal records.
- Following several enquires to our Helpline, we have published a document on working overseas. This provides a link to the entry requirements of various different countries around the world. It also highlights the role of an International Child Protection Certificate, which may be required for some roles overseas.
Specific occupations and professions
- Anybody wishing to sell articles in the street or from a vehicle, kiosk or moveable stall will now require a Street Trading Licence, and the application process will usually ask about unspent convicions. Details of the application process can be found here.
- State retirement pensions are suspended if you receive a custodial sentence. This document looks at how your pension entitlement may be affected and what to do if you believe there are gaps in your National Insurance Contributions.
Community resolution orders
- We have become aware that more police forces are using Community Resolution Orders when dealing with first time offenders committing minor offences or anti-social behaviour. Further information regarding the impact of receiving a Community Resolution Order can be found here.
- People with convictions can often feel unhappy, depressed, stressed or anxious. How we feel about ourselves can have an impact on the way we behave and how we cope with the worries of everyday life and the tougher times that we sometimes face. To help, we have put together a list of useful links, ranging from simple ‘self-help’ ideas to professional and voluntary services, to maintain a positive state of mind and to help you take back control of your life.
Learn more about this topic
- Double your impact this week with the Big Give
- The Autumn Statement 2023 is a missed opportunity to support people with criminal records
- New research highlights discrimination against people with criminal records in labour market
- We’re hiring! Communications and Digital Manager (maternity cover)
- Changes to spending periods have come into effect
Most popular articles from Unlock
- Opening a basic bank account and understanding the role of prepaid cards
- Call for evidence: DBS checks which reveal trans/gender history because of gender-specific offences committed in the past
- ‘Double discrimination?’ report published
- BBC Rip of Britain piece on insurance and convictions
- Some examples of people we’ve helped