What you need to know, in brief.
- There are 3 main levels of criminal record check and which one is done by the employer depends on the job role.
- If you need to disclose your criminal record, we suggest that you disclose face-to-face, this tends to be most effective. View our top tips when applying for a job with a criminal record
- Make sure you know what level of check an employer is doing and only disclose what you legally need to.
- Many organisations actively employ people with convictions, if you’re struggling to find employment then our list of friendly employers can be a good place to start looking.
- Many people with a criminal record choose self-employment to avoid prejudice from employers.
- If you’re struggling to find employment, volunteering can be a great way to build your confidence and experience
Latest news, advice, stories & more from UnlockView all news and updates
Dr Marti Rovira explains his findings
We're looking for someone with a criminal record who wants to gain experience and help us change the system
Tell us about your experiences of finding work through a recruitment agency with a criminal record
Professional Standard Authority consultation
Institute for Employment Studies: Commission on the Future of Employment Support