Skip to main content


What you need to know, in brief.

  • Overseas travel is exempt from the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act. If you need to apply for a visa to travel you will need to disclose both spent and unspent cautions and convictions. You may be asked to provide a police certificate as documentary evidence of your criminal record.
  • There is no link to your criminal record from your passport. The chip on a biometric passport only stores your photograph and the biographic details which are printed in the passport.
  • If you on are on Sex Offenders Register (SOR) you will need to notify the police of your intention to leave the UK. The police may ‘flag’ your passport with an Interpol Green Notice alerting overseas immigration of your SOR status.
  • Anybody travelling to the US for less than 90 days can travel under the Visa Waiver Programme. If you’ve been arrested or convicted of certain offences you will need to apply to the US Embassy for a visa.
  • If you are on licence you will need to get permission to travel outside the UK. This will be given only in exceptional circumstances.

Latest news, advice, stories & more from Unlock

View all news and updates
12 / 03 / 21 Advice Update

Moving on: Applying for settled status if you’re an EU citizen and travelling to Europe

This month we’ve written a further article for Insidetime ‘Through the Gate’ section which highlights the impact of a criminal…

    Photo of Head of Advice, Debbie Sadler
    Debbie Sadler
    Head of Advice

    Do you need help & support with an issue you’re facing?

    We provide support and advice for people in England and Wales who need guidance with either their own, or someone else’s, criminal record.

    Please use the search box to start typing your issue. If you cannot find an answer to your problem then you’ll be given options to contact us directly.

    Find out more about the helpline

    We want to make sure that our website is as helpful as possible.

    Letting us know if you easily found what you were looking for or not enables us to continue to improve our service for you and others.

    Was it easy to find what you were looking for?

    Thank you for your feedback.

    12 million people have criminal records in the UK. We need your help to help them.

    Help support us now