Unlock believes in an ear to the ground, voices at the top approach. We hear directly from people experiencing prejudice, stigma and discrimination because of their criminal record, and then we use our influence to enact change at the highest level.
Latest news & updates from our work to Change the SystemView all news and updates
There are a number of bills currently before parliament that have implications for people with criminal records or at risk of acquiring one.
Donate to Unlock between 28 November and 5 December and your donation will be doubled
Dr Marti Rovira explains his findings
Are you an experienced communicator with a passion for digital?
Case Studies of what we’ve achieved
Take a look at some key successes we’ve had over the years of fighting against prejudice, stigma and discrimination through our policy and campaigning work.View all case studies
- Abbie – How I challenged an enforced Subject Access Request (SAR) and kept my job
- Alan – Successfully making representation to be placed on a council’s housing register
- Anne – Should a criminal record prevent the award of a PhD?
- Benny – Success with the Scouts
- Brinley – “I successfully challenged an ineligible DBS check and kept my job”
- Our work with other organisations Challenging a Community Rehabilitation Company regarding the failings in their recruitment process
- Charlie – “I disclosed my conviction and still got a job”
- Case Work Clive – A potentially ineligible criminal record check led to the DBS considering barring me from working with children and vulnerable adults
- Support for individuals Dan – theInformationHub site made me realise how little I knew about criminal records
Our latest publications
We produce publications, often in collaboration with other key partners, to lead the way in demanding a fairer systemView all publications
- November 2023 Summary – A question of fairness 2023 – research into employers asking about criminal records at application stage
- November 2023 A question of fairness 2023 – research into employers asking about criminal records at application stage
- October 2023 Unlock briefing: Changes to the criminal records system (PCSC) October 2023
- October 2023 Access to higher education for people with criminal records – Unlock helpline review 2023
11 million people have criminal records in the UK. We need your help to help them.
Your donation will help us provide a voice and support for people who are facing stigma and obstacles because of their criminal record – we appreciate every penny.
It’s quick and easy to donate online, please click the button below.