Unlock believes in an ear to the ground, voices at the top approach. We hear directly from people experiencing prejudice, stigma and discrimination because of their criminal record, and then we use our influence to enact change at the highest level.
Latest news & updates from our work to Change the SystemView all news and updates
There's just one week left to respond to the government consultation
Guest author Dr Bethany Schmidt writes about an exciting new art project
Share your views and help us hold the government to account
Digital and Communications Manager Ruth Davies explains what's changed and why
A lack of joined up thinking will stop key changes taking effect for at least a year
Case Studies of what we’ve achieved
Take a look at some key successes we’ve had over the years of fighting against prejudice, stigma and discrimination through our policy and campaigning work.View all case studies
- Abbie – How I challenged an enforced Subject Access Request (SAR) and kept my job
- Alan – Successfully making representation to be placed on a council’s housing register
- Anne – Should a criminal record prevent the award of a PhD?
- Benny – Success with the Scouts
- Brinley – “I successfully challenged an ineligible DBS check and kept my job”
- Our work with other organisations Challenging a Community Rehabilitation Company regarding the failings in their recruitment process
- Charlie – “I disclosed my conviction and still got a job”
- Case Work Clive – A potentially ineligible criminal record check led to the DBS considering barring me from working with children and vulnerable adults
- Support for individuals Dan – theInformationHub site made me realise how little I knew about criminal records
Our latest publications
We produce publications, often in collaboration with other key partners, to lead the way in demanding a fairer systemView all publications
- August 2022 Criminal Injuries Compensation Scheme Review – Unlock response
- March 2022 ‘Delivering Justice for Victims’ – Unlock response Feb 2022
- February 2022 Prisons Strategy White Paper – Unlock Response Feb 2022
- December 2021 Unlock Annual Report 2020/21 – summary
11 million people have criminal records in the UK. We need your help to help them.
Your donation will help us provide a voice and support for people who are facing stigma and obstacles because of their criminal record – we appreciate every penny.
It’s quick and easy to donate online, please click the button below.