Annual report 2020/21
Each year we publish our annual report and accounts – which you can read in full on the Charity Commission’s website. In a year like no other, we’re proud that we continued to grow and develop our support, policy work and advocacy for people with criminal records. We’re also incredibly grateful to all the funders, individual donors and volunteers who support our work.
The difference we make
Analysis of our beneficiary feedback on the long term impacts of our support shows people to have improved resettlement chances, suffer less social exclusion, and be empowered to achieve their potential. This all contribute to reduce re-offending by increasing the number of people who successful negotiate the on-going, changing and increasingly complex challenges which can derail the most positive of intentions. Ultimately, it means that people can move on positively with their lives.
Case Studies and success stories
Take a look at some key successes we’ve had over the years of fighting against prejudice, stigma and discrimination through our policy and campaigning work.View all case studies
- Asher – Unlock helped me to get links to online information about my conviction removed
- The Helpline Bernie – The help I received from Unlock enabled me to work again
- Charlie – being able to open a bank account helped me to feel like any other citizen
- Support for individuals Dan – theInformationHub site made me realise how little I knew about criminal records
- Donald – Getting support from Unlock to challenge an ineligible DBS check allowed me to keep my job with the NHS
- The Helpline Felix – I’m now working in my dream job thanks to the information and support I was given by Unlock
- Helping an insurance broker update their guidance for people with convictions
- Jamie – You can be forgotten – Success when applying to Google
- Maryam – I successfully challenged the police over the disclosure of my filtered caution
Ear to the ground, voice at the top
As well as supporting individuals to move on positively in their lives, use what we learn from our frontline support to feed directly through to our policy work at the highest level. Over the years we’ve successfully secured changes to the criminal records system that will benefit thousands of people each year.
We’re delighted that our work and achievements have been recognised in the form of awards. These include:
2016 – Winner of The Longford Prize