Skip to main content

Our mission is to support & advocate for people with criminal records to be able to move on positively in their lives. Find out more

Travelling to Mexico


If you’re visiting Mexico as a tourist you don’t need a visa, but you will need a tourist card, which you can get on arrival by completing an immigration form available at border crossings or on-board flights to Mexico. The tourist card does not ask any questions about cautions or convictions.

You may need a visa to undertake certain adventure or eco-tourism activities like caving, potholing or entomology, especially if they involve any scientific or technological research.

If you’re in any doubt, check with the Mexican Embassy in London well in advance of your visit and ask for written confirmation if necessary.

Tourist Card (FMM) Facts:

  • The FMM is a document issued by Mexico’s INM (Instituto Nacional de Migración)
  • Casually called a tourist card or tourist visa
  • Issued to U.S., Canadian and other nationalities for vacation purposes
  • Requires a valid passport or passport card
  • Cost as of February 2013, $295 Pesos (appx U.S. $25) per person
  • May be issued for up to 180 days

What information is asked on the tourist card (FMM) form?

The following information as it appears on your passport:

  • Full name
  • Nationality
  • Date of birth
  • Passport number
  • Purpose of trip
  • How you are entering Mexico: air, sea, land

Is the tourist card (FMM) available online?

No. It must be obtained from an INM office.

Is it possible to enter and exit Mexico multiple times with the same tourist card (FMM)?

Tourist cards (FMM) are not multiple entry and therefore, each time you enter Mexico, you will need a new one.

What if I lose my tourist card (FMM)?

If you lose your tourist card, visit the nearest INM office in order to obtain a new one.

Does the tourist card (FMM) have to be returned to INM?

Yes. The back of the FMM document states “…surrender it upon leaving the country.”

Tourist Card Tips:

  • Make sure that the Mexican officials stamp your card.
  • Keep your card in a safe place.
  • It is recommended to write down your FMM number in case it is lost or stolen.
  • Return the tourist card (FMM) to an INM office upon leaving Mexico.


Add Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Photo of Head of Advice, Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Head of Advice

Do you need help & support with an issue you’re facing?

We provide support and advice for people in England and Wales who need guidance with either their own, or someone else’s, criminal record.

Please use the search box to start typing your issue. If you cannot find an answer to your problem then you’ll be given options to contact us directly.

Find out more about the helpline

We want to make sure that our website is as helpful as possible.

Letting us know if you easily found what you were looking for or not enables us to continue to improve our service for you and others.

Was it easy to find what you were looking for?

Thank you for your feedback.

12 million people have criminal records in the UK. We need your help to help them.

Help support us now