Skip to main content

Our mission is to support & advocate for people with criminal records to be able to move on positively in their lives. Find out more

Working overseas

If you’re applying to work overseas, you need to be aware that the laws on disclosing criminal records in the UK (such as the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act) don’t apply.

Alongside any specific entry requirements of the country, the employer may also have their own policies and practices (depending on the countries disclosure laws) around asking for criminal records.

It’s not possible for this site to go into detail about the laws of different countries.

However, some employers overseas may require you to obtain a copy of your criminal record from the UK.

Depending on your role, you may be able to provide a basic disclosure. However, some employers may require you to provide more information.

ACRO provide an International Child Protection Certificate which may be required by some employers where you are working with children. This will disclose all criminal convictions and cautions held on the PNC.


Add Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Photo of Helpline lead, Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Helpline lead

Do you need help & support with an issue you’re facing?

We provide support and advice for people who need guidance with either their own, or someone else’s, criminal record.

Please use the search box to start typing your issue. If you cannot find an answer to your problem then you’ll be given options to contact us directly.

Find out more about the helpline

We want to make sure that our website is as helpful as possible.

Letting us know if you easily found what you were looking for or not enables us to continue to improve our service for you and others.

Was it easy to find what you were looking for?

Thank you for your feedback.

12 million people have criminal records in the UK. We need your help to help them.

Help support us now