Skip to main content

Our mission is to support & advocate for people with criminal records to be able to move on positively in their lives. Find out more

Street Trading Licence

What is street trading?

Street trading is defined as the selling or offering for sale any article in the street or from a vehicle, kiosk or moveable stall. Traders who use the public highway to sell goods or services must have a street trading licence to carry out trade from a designated site or pitch and display goods in front of a shop.

Trading from a vehicle, kiosk or moveable stall which is on the valuation roll does not require a street trader licence.

Are there exemptions?

You do not need a street trading licence if you are:-

  • A pedlar with a Pedlar’s Certificate issued by a police authority
  • A market trader operating at a licensed market venue
  • A news vendor selling only newspapers and periodicals
  • At a petrol station
  • As a roundsman with regular customers
  • As part of a charity collection if a valid permit is in force
  • If you are trading on private land you may not need a consent.

Why do I need a licence?

Most Council’s believe that street trading requires some form of control.

  • To ensure that traders in food meet an adequate standard of food hygiene and minimise any health risks to the public
  • To control nuisances which can be associated with street trading such as noise, smell and litter.

Who can apply?

Any person who is 18 years old or over can apply.

How do I apply?

Applications should be made to the Council in the area in which you wish to trade.

Application forms and guidance notes can be downloaded from most Council websites.

How much does it cost?

It varies from Council to Council

What if I have a conviction?

You will usually be asked to disclose all unspent convictions on application. Many Council’s now ask that you provide evidence of this by way of a basic criminal records check from Disclosure Scotland.  Disclosures should not usually be older than 3 months from the date of issue. Having an unspent conviction will not necessarily be a bar to success and applications will be dealt with on a case by case basis.

Most Council’s have an Appeals process in place if your application is initially refused.  Details can be found on the Council’s websites.



Add Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Photo of Helpline lead, Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Helpline lead

Do you need help & support with an issue you’re facing?

We provide support and advice for people who need guidance with either their own, or someone else’s, criminal record.

Please use the search box to start typing your issue. If you cannot find an answer to your problem then you’ll be given options to contact us directly.

Find out more about the helpline

We want to make sure that our website is as helpful as possible.

Letting us know if you easily found what you were looking for or not enables us to continue to improve our service for you and others.

Was it easy to find what you were looking for?

Thank you for your feedback.

12 million people have criminal records in the UK. We need your help to help them.

Help support us now