Skip to main content

Our mission is to support & advocate for people with criminal records to be able to move on positively in their lives. Find out more

Subject access requests (SAR) – General information

Everybody has the right under the Data Protection Act 2018 to make a request to any organisation, for a copy of the information that organisation holds about them. This is called a subject access request (SAR).

There are many reasons why you may want to apply for a SAR, and we’ve produced some new information on how to apply for a SAR and, what you can do if an organisation refuses to provide you with one.

We have some specific information on applying for a subject access request if you would like to get copies of your police records.

For more information

  1. For practical self-help information – More information is available on subject access requests (SAR) – general information and police records – subject access requests
  2. Questions – If you have any questions you can contact our helpline



Add Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Photo of Head of Advice, Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Head of Advice

Do you need help & support with an issue you’re facing?

We provide support and advice for people in England and Wales who need guidance with either their own, or someone else’s, criminal record.

Please use the search box to start typing your issue. If you cannot find an answer to your problem then you’ll be given options to contact us directly.

Find out more about the helpline

We want to make sure that our website is as helpful as possible.

Letting us know if you easily found what you were looking for or not enables us to continue to improve our service for you and others.

Was it easy to find what you were looking for?

Thank you for your feedback.

12 million people have criminal records in the UK. We need your help to help them.

Help support us now