Employers, insurers and others regularly ask misleading questions as part of application forms or interviews. For example, insurers often ask individuals to disclose “all convictions”.
What we think needs to change
Organisations need to be clearer about their responsibilities under the Data Protection Act and the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974.
Organisations should be brought to account for their failings.
What we're doing
We’re working on individual cases that are brought to us.
We’re working with the Information Commissioners Office to raise awareness and share examples of bad practice.
Take a look at some examples of cases we’ve helped withView all case studies
- Misleading question on a support organisation’s referral form
- Misleading declaration on a mortgage company’s application form
- Misleading question on an application form to join a professional body
- Misleading question on television production company application form
- Our work with other organisations Challenging a misleading question on a Council housing reference form