With the summer fast approaching, you may be thinking about hiring a car to head off on your holidays. But, how likely are you to run into problems if you have a criminal record? We’ve just produced some new information which will hopefully clarify this for you.
Car rental companies in the UK are legally required to check your full driving licence before they will allow you to hire a car. So if you have an unspent motoring conviction it’s likely that you’ll find it more difficult to hire a car from one of the larger car hire companies.
It’s much better news if you have an unspent non-motoring conviction as very few hire companies will ask about these. However, we’d always recommend that you check the small print of any hire agreement or insurance documentation.
Learn more about this topic
- New research shines a light on the complex landscape of University criminal records policies
- Four bills currently going through parliament – and what they could mean for you
- Double your impact this week with the Big Give
- The Autumn Statement 2023 is a missed opportunity to support people with criminal records
- New research highlights discrimination against people with criminal records in labour market
Most popular articles from Unlock
- Call for evidence: DBS checks which reveal trans/gender history because of gender-specific offences committed in the past
- ‘Double discrimination?’ report published
- BBC Rip of Britain piece on insurance and convictions
- New report highlights potentially hundreds of unlawful criminal record checks by employers each year
- Some examples of people we’ve helped