Skip to main content

Our mission is to support & advocate for people with criminal records to be able to move on positively in their lives. Find out more

Travelling while on a community order

There is no general exclusion from travelling abroad whilst serving a community order.

However, travel abroad may, in practice, not be feasible due to the requirements of the community order, e.g. a curfew, regular unpaid work or supervision. If you require a variation to these requirements in order to travel abroad (for example, rearranging a meeting) then you will need to seek permission from Probation.

There may also be a specific prohibition as part of the community order that stops you from travelling abroad. If you are in doubt, you should contact your offender manager.


Add Comment
  1. I have a 2 year community order. (Crime section 20, paragraph 3)
    I have completed my unpaid work, 200 hrs, but still have several R.A.R. days to complete. Do I have to declare this when filling in my application form for my new passport?
    Can I travel to Spain etc.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Photo of Head of Advice, Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Head of Advice

Do you need help & support with an issue you’re facing?

We provide support and advice for people in England and Wales who need guidance with either their own, or someone else’s, criminal record.

Please use the search box to start typing your issue. If you cannot find an answer to your problem then you’ll be given options to contact us directly.

Find out more about the helpline

We want to make sure that our website is as helpful as possible.

Letting us know if you easily found what you were looking for or not enables us to continue to improve our service for you and others.

Was it easy to find what you were looking for?

Thank you for your feedback.

12 million people have criminal records in the UK. We need your help to help them.

Help support us now