Make a donation
A donation helps Unlock continue to support people to overcome past difficulties and move forward with hope to make a positive contribution to society – we appreciate every penny.
You can donate online using a credit or debit card by using the safe and secure The Big Give
One-off or regular donations
You can send a cheque, payable to ‘Unlock’, to Unlock, MCSC, 39-48 Marsham Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME14 1HH
A regular donation, however small, makes a huge difference to us. If you wish to set up a standing order – please contact email@example.com for more information.
If you are a UK taxpayer, for every £1 that you give, the government will give an extra 25p – at no extra cost to you. Please download and complete our donation form so that we can make a claim.
Leave us a gift in your will
Help us to continue to give hope to people with convictions long into the future by leaving us a gift in your will. It’s easy to do, and your gift will be exempt from inheritance tax. Make sure you include our charity number on the will document: 1079046. Talk to your solicitor or read advice from the Charities Aid Foundation. If you do include Unlock in your Will, it would be helpful if you would let us know by downloading and filling out a Legacy Pledge Form. This will help us to plan for the future and to thank you for your compassion and support.
Be our hero!
You don’t have to give your own money – use your skills and charm to get other people to give us cash! There are many ways from the dramatic – take part in a sponsored event in aid of Unlock – to the simple – shop online through GiveAsYouLive
Unfortunately we don’t have the in-house resources to support community fundraising, so we’d be doubly grateful to receive donations from you where you’ve gone that extra mile to act independently.
If you have any questions about any aspect of our fundraising, or need help with a sponsorship event, please contact Julie Harmsworth on 01622 230705 email firstname.lastname@example.org or write to Unlock, MCSC, 39-48 Marsham Street Maidstone Kent ME14 1HH
If you help us, you’ll be in good company! See this list of the funders who currently support Unlock
Your donation will help us provide a voice and support for people who are facing stigma and obstacles because of their criminal record – we appreciate every penny. It’s quick and easy to donate online, please click the clink below.
Or if you prefer you can send a cheque, payable to ‘Unlock’, to Unlock, MCSC, 39-48 Marsham Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME14 1HH.
Regular donations provide a reliable regular income which help us plan for the future. If you wish to set up a standing order – please contact email@example.com for more information.
If you are a UK taxpayer, for every £1 that you give, the government will give an extra 25p – at no extra cost to you. All donations made online have Gift Aid claimed automatically, but if you’re making a donation via post please download and complete our Gift Aid declaration form so that we can make a claim.
Leaving a gift in your will
A legacy gift can help us to continue giving hope to people with criminal records long into the future. It’s easy to do, and your gift will be exempt from inheritance tax. Just make sure you include our charity number on the will document: 1079046. If you would like to take this step please talk to your solicitor or read advice from the Charities Aid Foundation. If you do include Unlock in your Will, we’d love to hear about it and thank you for your compassion and support, please contact us.
Fundraise for Unlock
From bake sales and games evenings to sponsored events there are so many ways you can support our work and have fun at the same time! We’d love to hear about what you’re getting up to in support of our work. Please get in touch with Kathryn Russell our Fundraising Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Raise money as you shop
Give as you Live Online is a free and easy way to raise free funds for Unlock, simply by shopping online. Join for free today and start raising money when you shop at over 4,000 stores. Click on a store you want to shop with and they’ll direct you to the store’s website where you can continue to shop as normal. Your purchase will automatically generate free funds for Unlock!
You can also raise money by using AmazonSmile – a website operated by Amazon with the same products, prices and shopping features as Amazon.co.uk. The difference is that when you shop on AmazonSmile, Amazon will donate 0.5% of the net purchase price (excluding VAT, returns and shipping fees) from your eligible purchases to Unlock. Just visit AmazonSmile and select Unlock as your chosen charity.
Make a grant to us
Unlock is the only charity dedicated to supporting people with convictions. It does not deliver government contracts. Its beneficiaries are often unemployed and in poverty. It relies on charitable grants and donations to survive.
If you are interesting in making a grant to support our work, please email email@example.com or call T: 01622 230705.
Details of our current and previous supporters are available here.
Raise money through sponsorship
If you are interested in fundraising for Unlock by participating in a sponsored event, please get in touch by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org with details of what you’d like to do and we will be delighted to help you in your venture.
Remember Unlock in your will
Remembering Unlock in your Will is simple and as well as helping us continue our much-needed work, gifts to charities are free from Inheritance and Capital Gains tax and so may help to reduce the level of tax payable on your estate.
Leaving a legacy to Unlock can be done when you first make your Will, by drafting a new Will or by adding a simple Codicil. Below are some simple guidelines on the types of bequests that you can make and how to go about it.
The main ways of leaving a gift are:
- A residuary gift is the remainder of your estate, or a percentage of it, after all gifts to friends and family have been made and any debts, taxes and expenses paid.
- A pecuniary legacy is the gift of a fixed sum of money. It can be indexed linked toprotect its value.
- A specific legacy is the gift of a particular item such as stocks and shares, property, life insurance policies or jewellery.
Unlock recommends using a solicitor to make or amend a Will. A solicitor will ensure that your Will is legally valid and that your wishes will be carried out.
Your solicitor will know how to word a legacy but you might find the following wording useful:
I give to Unlock, Maidstone Community Support Centre, 39-48 Marsham Street, Maidstone, Kent, ME14 1HH, Registered Charity Number 1079046;
- all the residue of my estate
- % share of the residue of my estate
- the sum of £______
- an item or items of value (give a full, accurate description) to be used by Unlock for its general purposes, and I direct that the receipt of the Chair of Trustees or other duly authorised officer shall be sufficient discharge of the said legacy.
If you have included, or intend to include Unlock in your Will, it would be helpful if you would let us know by filling out a Legacy Pledge Form. This will help us to plan for the future and to thank you for your compassion and support.
If you would like to talk about leaving a legacy, or if you have any questions, please contact Julie Harmsworth on 01622 230705 email email@example.com or write to Unlock, MCSC, 39-48 Marsham Street Maidstone Kent ME14 1HH
Raise money online
Raise money when you shop online – Give as you live
You can find out how to use “Give as you Live” to support us by clicking here.
You can raise money for Unlock simply by using Unlock’s ‘Everyclick‘ search engine. Similar to Google, Yahoo and Bing, every time you use the Everyclick search engine you’ll be raising money for Unlock. Click the link below to start searching. For more information about Everyclick, click here.
Ebay for Charity – Selling on Ebay
Do you sell your unwanted items on Ebay? Then you can support us by donating part of or all of the final sale price to us.
How it works
In order to donate part or all of your final selling price to charity you must list your item using the ‘Advanced Sell’ listing form.
- In the ‘choose how you’d like to sell your item section’, under Raise money for your favourite charity, choose Unlock.
- Select the percentage of your final sale price that you would like to donate – between 10% and 100%. There is a minimum of a £1 donation per listing.
- If this is your first ebay for charity item, you will need to read and agree to the ebay for charity terms and conditions.
- Complete the rest of the listing as normal.
- Tip: If you don’t see the eBay for Charity option on the form, click the ‘Add or remove options’ link at the top of the section. Tick the box for donate percentage of Sale and click save.
How to pay a charity donation
When you have sold your item and collected payment from the buyer, you have two options to pay your donation:
- Actively pay your donation from the donation account section of My Ebay under the My Account tab by choosing your preferred method of payment: PayPal, Direct Pay or Credit Card
- Let PayPal Giving Fund (eBay’s partner charity) collect the donation from you 3 weeks after your item sells, using your preferred payment method on file with eBay.
For more information about selling for charity on Ebay please visit the Sell for Charity section on Ebay.
- You will receive fee credits whenever you sell an item for your charity. Ebay’s insertion fees and final value fees will be credited back to the seller, according to the level of their donation. For example, if you donate 50% of the item’s sale price to charity, you will receive a credit of 50% of the basic selling fees.
- Every listing that benefits Unlock will include our logo and mission statement, promoting our charity on eBay.co.uk, and will be marked with the charity ribbon, which attracts extra customers and means you are likely to get a higher sale price for the item.
Buying on Ebay
If you buy regularly on Ebay please do keep an eye out for items that are being sold to benefit Unlock. You can visit Unlock’s Ebay for Charity page which has a list of all the products currently being sold to benefit Unlock