theForum - Rules
An online community for law-abiding people with convictions
You can visit the homepage of theForum.
This page should be read alongside theForum Guidelines.
Who can take part?
1. The forum is for law-abiding people with convictions.
2. It is for use by private individuals and must not be used for commercial messages or a medium for marketing or selling.
3. The following individuals are not allowed to take part in the forum;
a. Those who are involved in criminal activity currently, or intend to be in the future
b. People who are innocent (or believe themselves to be)
c. People contributing in a professional capacity (e.g. criminal justice staff, journalists, researchers, students)
What can be discussed?
4. The following topics/discussions/comments are not allowed, either explicitly or implicitly:
a. Sexual offences/convictions
b. Crime or future criminal activity
c. Pending prosecutions
d. False allegations or offences you say you didn't commit
e. Appealing or varying a sentence, conviction or civil order
f. Requests for legal advice
g. Specific details relating to an offence, conviction or the circumstances leading up to it
h. Ongoing needs, efforts or requirements to address your offending behaviour
Please note that the phrases above will be given their ordinary meaning, and this is subject to the sole discretion of Unlock.
General conditions of use
5. Use one account/identity only in the forum and do not allow others to use your membership number/password.
6. The sharing of personal data (e.g. names, dates of birth, addresses, contact details, specific offence details etc.) is not allowed
7. We encourage a healthy exchange of opinions and disagreements are allowed. The nature of the forum will mean that people disagree with one another, and sometimes even dislike each other. If you do not wish to engage with people that you dislike, you should refrain from posting replies to their posts. By all means challenge an opinion – but please do it respectfully.
8. Name calling, foul and abusive language will not be tolerated. This includes the use of offensive nicknames. Do not use the forum to harass, threaten or attack anyone.
9. This is a UK site. Posts must be made in English so that they are understood by other members.
10. Do not post messages more than once. This is also known as 'flooding'. Duplicate messages are very frustrating and will be removed.
11. All members are reminded that they may be held legally accountable for what they say or do online. In particular, members may be held liable for any defamatory comments, threats and untrue statements or other illegal and fraudulent claims made by them.
12. Moderators will try to be active in removing any unsuitable material, for the benefit of all forum members. However, we cannot be held responsible for any delay in doing so. Unlock cannot guarantee the prompt editing or removal of any content.
13. Neither Unlock nor its employees or volunteers are liable for the content of any material accessed via the forum, any adverse treatment of any information placed by a member anywhere on the forum, or any loss or damage that a member may suffer as a result.
14. Unlock does not endorse the opinions expressed by members or moderators of the forum.
15. The forum consists of information posted by third parties. As a result, Unlock accepts no liability in respect to the accuracy or truthfulness of any advice, information or data posted online or any responsibility for the consequences of a member acting in reliance on such information.
16. Unlock may release personal information of members where we reasonably believe that a member has used the forum to commit unlawful acts, where required to do so by law, or where Unlock deems it appropriate in response to complaints of a substantial nature.
17. Unlock reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to edit or remove material from the forum at any time.
18. Unlock reserves the right, at its sole discretion, to deny access to the forum to any specific individual at any time.
19. If a member fails to observe the rules at any time, Unlock may temporarily suspend a member for a period of time depending on the nature and severity of the breach. This will normally be for 3 months initially, which will be reviewed on request after this date. Members who repeatedly breach these rules may be permanently excluded and their messages removed.
20. Unlock reserves the right to change these rules at any time. Use of the forum will be taken as acceptance of these rules (as amended).