Skip to main content

Our mission is to support & advocate for people with criminal records to be able to move on positively in their lives. Find out more

Travelling to other countries

Based on the feedback we’ve received, the countries listed below either don’t require a visa or don’t ask any questions relating to criminal records on their landing/entry cards. However, this information is based on leisure/tourism travel, and it may be different for business/longer stays.

  • Andorra
  • Argentina
  • Brazil
  • Cambodia
  • Chile
  • Dubai
  • Hong Kong
  • Indonesia
  • Malaysia
  • The Philippines
  • Serbia
  • Singapore
  • Taiwan
  • Thailand
  • Vietnam

Please note: If you are on the Sex Offenders Register and have notified the police of your intention to travel a ‘Green Notice’ may be issued and ‘flagged’ via your passport. This ‘flag’ will alert overseas immigration “about a person’s criminal activities, where the person is considered to be a possible threat to public safety”. Overseas immigration officers will then decide whether to allow you entry or send you home.

Also, it’s worth remember that while this potentially means that the country that you’re travelling to might not have any specific requirements, there may be travel requirements on you because of your criminal record.

“I would like to update you with information about my experience when applying for Visas.

Namibia were great. Although UK visitors don’t need a visa, I checked about any problems I may have because of past convictions. They called me back and said I have served my time and they have no problem (as long as I don’t reoffend in their country!)

Botswana said I can enter without a visa.

Zimbabwe do require a visa which you can get on the border, or apply in advance.

Zambia also do require a visa which I will have to apply for and await the outcome.

So I recommend always contact the embassy or High Commission and be open about your conviction because the last thing you need is to be refused entry at the border having spent a lot of money on the trip”


This page was last fully reviewed and updated in April 2020. If you’ve spotted something that needs updating, please let us know by emailing the details to


Add Comment
  1. Can I enter Dubai with a drug driving ban for cannabis? I was over limit by 0.5mg of blood and got 12 months. Sentence finishes in January.

    Will I be allowed in?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Photo of Head of Advice, Debbie Sadler
Debbie Sadler
Head of Advice

Do you need help & support with an issue you’re facing?

We provide support and advice for people in England and Wales who need guidance with either their own, or someone else’s, criminal record.

Please use the search box to start typing your issue. If you cannot find an answer to your problem then you’ll be given options to contact us directly.

Find out more about the helpline

We want to make sure that our website is as helpful as possible.

Letting us know if you easily found what you were looking for or not enables us to continue to improve our service for you and others.

Was it easy to find what you were looking for?

Thank you for your feedback.

12 million people have criminal records in the UK. We need your help to help them.

Help support us now